Saturday, September 25, 2010

GETT MADD

I just returned from the Celebration of Life Breakfast at MADD's National Conference their 30th Anniversary. The feature presentation was a slide show of photos of children, husbands, wives, sisters, brothers, mothers, fathers, cousins, uncles, aunts, friends, co-workers, all smiling. All buried.

I couldn't let this moment go by without telling you about the amazing people I've had the honor to meet. I marvel in the courage, tenacity and motivation they have to tackle each day as a victim, survivor or advocate of the impact of drunk driving. I'll throw distracted driving into the mix - because no one should have to lose their life or capacity to live fully because of "LOL" or WTF" or "TTYL" - and certainly not because of a mojito, chardonnay or bud light, or mascara.

I ask God for the grace I do not deserve. I have made poor choices in the past. The culture was different. I am ashamed. I am changed. I am determined. Thirty years ago wrote about Tim Smith, the 4 year old I babysat, who was killed by a drunk driver. He'd be a young man now. Maybe the father of a 4 year old. He counsels me from the right hand of the Father.

I asked God for help last night. He has answered with a painful reminder of the fragility of life and the strength of the human spirit and the bond of human touch. I reach out to you. To say I love you. And whatever you may be struggling with, my prayers are with you. God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment